How can you Ensure Fire Safety at the Workplace?
Undermining the risk of fire accidents at the workplace is the biggest blunder one can ever make! No workplace - whether it’s a high-rise building, a warehouse or a small office - is safe from fire hazards.
Fire outbreak at a workplace can badly impact your productivity, wreck your inventory and cause infrastructural damage, which can cost you dearly. Moreover, unexpected explosions or fires can result in injuries or deaths which can lead to expensive and lengthy lawsuits.
It is observed that a majority of fires happen due to poor electrical connection and improperly stocked combustible materials. Here we have listed down some of the important practices that can reduce fire hazards in the workplace bringing down the extent of life & property loss.
The following essential practices will your workplace’s safety against fire hazards:
1. First and foremost, identify the fire hazards in your workplace. Make a note of the presence of any combustible material near any sources like heaters, lighting, electrical equipment, etc. Additionally, it is important to store the fuel and other flammable chemicals like rubber, petrol, etc in a proper place.
2. Once you have identified the potential risks, access it thoroughly. Doing so will make it easy to determine which hazards need immediate attention.
3. Assessing the situation isn’t sufficient. It is very crucial to put protective measures in place to control the risks – you can use a hierarchy of control here! You can eliminate the work processes that might result in an explosive atmosphere. Moreover, make sure to service and clean all your machinery as and when recommended by manufacturers.
4. Apart from this, switch off the electricity points when your premise is unattended and remove any waste material like fuel and dispose of the flammable material properly.
5. Lastly, make it a point to monitor the hazards and review the controls on a regular basis to minimise the potential risks effectively.